What's the SVA process?

All kit-cars have to be SVA (single vehincle approval) tested before you can register them. The process you have to go through, at the time of writing, is roughly as follows. This is all in the experience of the webmaster and assumes that you are in the UK. It should not be taken as definitive. To get the latest ruling you should talk to DJ.

  1. Build the car. Note that you will need some sort of certification for the date of your engine if you want to avoid the latest (lowest) emissions regulations.
  2. Get the SVA1 form from Swansea; complete and return it. (This is the request for an SVA test form.) It's a good idea to talk to DJ for some help in filling out the form. This will eventually get you a test date and location. Note that once you have this you can negotiate directly with the test station to change the test date if necessary.
  3. Take the completed car for an MOT test. Although not strictly necessary this is quite useful for checking the emissions and checking that the brakes do at least work in a straight line and so on.
  4. Pass the SVA test, which will get you a "Minister's Approval Certificate". Note that you are allowed to drive the car to both an MOT and SVA test as long as they're pre-booked and you have insurance.
  5. Get forms V55 and V627 from your local vehicle registration office (VRO). Unfortunately, all the VROs have different procedures so what follows is only application to the Peterborough office.
  6. Complete the forms and send off, possibly with the V5 from your donor car. You'll also need to pay the registration fee and for the first tax disc.
  7. Arrange with the VRO to take your car for inspection. Eventually they'll tell you the registration number and you can then get number plates made up. (Note: getting number plates is now much more difficult and it may well be that now you have to wait for your V5 to turn up. This could be very frustrating.)
  8. After some time you'll get the V5 in the post.

What emissions tests are applied?

You used to be able to get away with almost anything. Now, however, you must get some sort of certificate of the age of your engine (for example from its original manufacturer) and the SVA bods will then apply the emissions tests that were relevant when that engine was manufactured. If you can't get a certificate then the latest regulations will apply.

When you get an MOT test then currently only the pre-75 regulations will apply. This means a "visual smoke test". You might, however, have to get the MOT tester to look at his book to confirm this as most of them don't know. Rumours abound that eventually the SVA regulations will apply.

What do I stick the bonnet beading on with?

Lot's of people use Wuerth for this. However, others talk highly about using HV350 which is very strong, high viscosity, adhesive. It's available from places such as Demon Tweeks.